The main purpose of die surface treatment is to improve the surface hardness, wear resistance and corrosion resistance. The application of laser surface strengthening technology has greatly improved the surface performance of mold. For the key parts of the mold, the conventional heat treatment is manual flame quenching. Flame quenching has many limitations, such as low hardness, easy deformation and cracking, which needs further processing and correction. The laser quenching can not only solve the above problems, but also can improve the wear resistance and service life of the same hardness, and local quenching can be carried out for the difficult parts.
For improving the service life of large-scale dies and reducing the heat treatment deformation of precision dies, laser surface strengthening technology has great technical advantages, mainly including laser surface quenching and laser surface cladding.
laser surface hardening
Laser surface hardening is a kind of technology that uses high energy laser beam to scan the workpiece to harden the scanned area.
- The characteristics of laser quenching
(1) Laser quenching is rapid heating and self-excited cooling, without furnace heat preservation and coolant quenching. It is a pollution-free green heat treatment process, which can easily implement uniform quenching of large mold surface.
(2) Because the laser heating speed is fast, the heat affected zone is small, and the surface scanning heating quenching, namely instantaneous local heating quenching, the deformation of the treated die is very small.
(3) Because the divergence angle of the laser beam is very small and has good directivity, the mold surface can be accurately quenched by the light guide system.
(4) The hardened layer depth of laser surface quenching is generally 0.3 ~ 1.5mm.